All incoming students (Freshmen and Transfer) are required to attend KSU Ignition Orientation and it is strongly recommended that all incoming Architecture students (Freshmen, Transfer, and Major Change) consider attending the Architecture Summer Design Workshop.
2018 Program Overview
The Summer Design Workshop is designed to offer students a transitional experience from high school or other degree programs to the Department of Architecture’s B.ARCH program. The program is intended to help students integrate into studio culture and to introduce them to basic design concepts, tools, techniques and resources.
The program focuses on first-year success. Students spend two weeks listening to lectures on architecture and doing design studio work. Members of the three architectural student organizations, AIAS, Alpha Rho Chi and NOMAS provide peer mentoring in studio. Social events are offered exclusively to the Summer Design Workshop community. The program culminates in an exhibition and reception of student work in the Architecture Gallery on the final day of the workshop.
- Learn the ins and outs of being a college student
- Discover what it means to be an architecture student
- Explore the fundamentals of design, composition and drawing
- Take introductory lectures on topics related to architecture and Design Workshop projects
- Learn lab resources available to them, including the Wood Shop, Digital Fabrication Lab, Media Resource Center and Materials Library
- Learn about developing a portfolio
- Be introduced to the architecture student organizations including AIAS, Alpha Rho Chi and NOMAS
- Work with the CACM professional advisor
- Meet with fellow incoming architecture students
All participants will receive an architecture starter kit that includes basic design tools and supplies and will be assigned an individual workspace in a design studio in building N- the Architecture Building.
- July 16 - 27, 2018
* Please note, the dates in this 2-week period are subject to change.
A complete schedule of activities will be emailed to you at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the Workshop.
In the meantime, please have family and friends mark their calendars because on either July 26th or 27th, a reception will be held to showcase the Workshop Students' work - final date will be included in the schedule.
The registration fee of $350 covers the purchase of a 'Design material 'KIT', a student organization hosted BBQ, exhibit reception and other social fun activities facilitated by APX, NOMAS, Alpha Rho Chi.
All students who choose the housing option will be housed in the Hornet Village Suites for the duration of the Workshop - with a check in of July 13th from 9-12 pm.
It is very important to note the following:
- Students who will be housed on campus come Fall 2018 will not be charged for housing
for during the Workshop. However, only students who chose the Architecture Living Learning Community (Hornet Village) will be allowed to remain in the Summer Workshop room assignment...
all others must move out on July 27th.
- Students who will not be living on campus come Fall 2018 will be assessed a room charge of $450.00.
For more information on Fall 2018 Campus Housing, please contact Kennesaw State University Housing and Resident Life.
- Students who will be housed on campus come Fall 2018 will not be charged for housing for during the Workshop. However, only students who chose the Architecture Living Learning Community (Hornet Village) will be allowed to remain in the Summer Workshop room assignment... all others must move out on July 27th.
Dining Services and Meal Plans
Meals are not included in your workshop registration, however, students are able to purchase tax-free food at campus eateries with Dining Dollars. Dining Dollars can only be used on food purchases at campus dining venues. You can add/manage Dining Dollars by visiting the Account Manager portal once issued a KSU Student ID Card.
Please note only the following eateries will be open during Summer 2018:
7:30am - 3pm: Monday - Thursday
Stingers Express (in Olo Sushi location)
10:30am - 7pm: Monday - Friday
Students also have the option of visiting the Commons on the Kennesaw Campus.
*For those students not interested in purchasing Dining Dollars, the Marietta Square, which offers many dining choices, is only located 2.4 miles from campus. The famous Marietta Diner is about 2.5 and there are plenty of other choices in the immediate surrounding areas of the University.
For information about the Summer Design Workshop, please contact Dorianne Gutierrez
at firstname.lastname@example.org or (470) 578-7253.