The information below is for information reference only and is contingent upon pending COVID precautions and safety provisions that will be issued during Spring Semester, 2021. Therefore, this website will be updated during the Spring Semester of 2021 to reflect information as it becomes available.
Register for the 2020 Workshop
2020 Program Overview
The Summer Design Workshop is designed to offer students a transitional experience from high school or other degree programs to the Department of Architecture’s B.ARCH program. The program is intended to help students integrate into studio culture and to introduce them to basic design concepts, tools, techniques and resources.
The program focuses on first-year success. Students spend two weeks listening to lectures on architecture and doing design studio work. Members of the three architectural student organizations, AIAS, Alpha Rho Chi and NOMAS provide peer mentoring in studio.
Social events are offered exclusively to the Summer Design Workshop community. The program culminates in an exhibition and reception of student work in the Architecture Gallery on the final day of the workshop.
- Learn the ins and outs of being a college student
- Discover what it means to be an architecture student
- Explore the fundamentals of design, composition and drawing
- Take introductory lectures on topics related to architecture and Design Workshop projects
- Learn lab resources available to them, including the Wood Shop, Digital Fabrication Lab, Media Resource Center and Materials Library
- Learn about developing a portfolio
- Be introduced to the architecture student organizations including AIAS, Alpha Rho Chi and NOMAS
- Work with the CACM professional advisor
- Meet with fellow incoming architecture students
All participants receive an architecture starter kit that includes basic design tools and supplies and will be assigned an individual workspace in a design studio in the Architecture Building.
July 12 - 23, 2021
* Please note, the dates in this 2-week period are subject to change and face to face activities cannot be guaranteed at this time.
*TBD_Pending Spring 2021 updates
The standard registration fee of $525 covers the purchase of the required 1st Yr (ARCH 1001) Design material 'KIT' at a discounted price.
The fee also includes social events for participants, an exhibit reception, and other fun activities facilitated by our Architecture Department student groups (APX, NOMAS, Alpha Rho Chi).
*The registration link will be activated in the Spring of 2021.
Housing is available at an extra cost (TBD).
As a rough estimate, participants should budget at least $450 for housing.
- Check in (TBD)
- Check out (TBD)
For more information on 2021 Campus Housing, please contact Kennesaw State University
Dining Services and Meal Plans
*For those students not interested in purchasing Dining Dollars or a Meal Plan, the Marietta Square which offers many dining choices is only located 2.4 miles from campus, the famous Marietta Diner is about 2.5, and there are plenty of other choices in the immediate surrounding areas of the University.
For information about the Summer Design Workshop, please contact Dorianne Gutierrez at firstname.lastname@example.org or (470) 578-5087.