All incoming students (Freshmen and Transfer) are required to attend KSU Ignition Orientation and it is strongly recommended that all incoming Architecture students (Freshmen, Transfer, and Major Change) consider attending the Architecture Summer Design Workshop.
Register for the 2019 Workshop
2019 Program Overview
The Summer Design Workshop is designed to offer students a transitional experience from high school or other degree programs to the Department of Architecture’s B.ARCH program. The program is intended to help students integrate into studio culture and to introduce them to basic design concepts, tools, techniques and resources.
The program focuses on first-year success. Students spend two weeks listening to lectures on architecture and doing design studio work. Members of the three architectural student organizations, AIAS, Alpha Rho Chi and NOMAS provide peer mentoring in studio. Social events are offered exclusively to the Summer Design Workshop community. The program culminates in an exhibition and reception of student work in the Architecture Gallery on the final day of the workshop.
- Learn the ins and outs of being a college student
- Discover what it means to be an architecture student
- Explore the fundamentals of design, composition and drawing
- Take introductory lectures on topics related to architecture and Design Workshop projects
- Learn lab resources available to them, including the Wood Shop, Digital Fabrication Lab, Media Resource Center and Materials Library
- Learn about developing a portfolio
- Be introduced to the architecture student organizations including AIAS, Alpha Rho Chi and NOMAS
- Work with the CACM professional advisor
- Meet with fellow incoming architecture students
All participants will receive an architecture starter kit that includes basic design tools and supplies and will be assigned an individual workspace in a design studio in building N- the Architecture Building.
July 15 - 26, 2019
* Please note, the dates in this 2-week period are subject to change.
A complete schedule of activities will be emailed to you at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the Workshop.
In the meantime, please have family and friends mark their calendars because either July 26th, a reception will be held to showcase the Workshop Students’ work – final date will be included in schedule.
The registration fee of $525 covers the purchase of the required 1st Yr (ARCH 1001) 'Design material 'KIT' at a discounted price, a student organization hosted BBQ, exhibit reception and other social fun activities facilitated by APX, NOMAS, Alpha Rho Chi. Click here to register now.
Housing is available at an extra cost of $546.00.
- Check in July 12
- Check out July 26
For more information on Fall 2019 Campus Housing, please contact Kennesaw State University Housing and Resident Life.
Dining Services and Meal Plans
*For those students not interested in purchasing Dining Dollars or a Meal Plan, the Marietta Square which offers many dining choices is only located 2.4 miles from campus, the famous Marietta Diner is about 2.5, and there are plenty of other choices in the immediate surrounding areas of the University.
For information about the Summer Design Workshop, please contact Dorianne Gutierrez at firstname.lastname@example.org or (470) 578-5087.